Sunday, November 15, 2015

Making Teapots

Finally got back to making some teapots. It's been a summer of mugs, mugs, mugs and more mugs. Much as I like making mugs, I also want to make teapots sometimes! Something to put in all those mugs!

Teapots are a major pottery challenge. They have to look good, fit with the other pieces in your design, work well... and not cost too much. There are plenty of really amazing teapots out there, but I don't think the really sculptural or 'art' teapots we see are meant to be used to make tea. Mine are. I want my teapots to be used, daily, comfortably, and dependably.

Here are a few in the clay I use for my Red Fox pattern, waiting to go into the kiln for the bisque firing:
clay teapots waiting to be fired
It was fun making them. I also made a lot of other pieces in that design, including some sugar bowls with lids, none of which fit. Not quite as much fun!

Here is a finished teapot:
speckled red-brown glazed teapot

Lots of Christmas stuff going on as well. Painting pine cones... cutting out stars...  searching the entire Studio for the red ribbon I was sure I had...

Speaking of red ribbon, have you noticed that, for us creative types, invention is often the mother of necessity? You invent the pottery Christmas mitt, and now you need red ribbon...

Never mind. Time for a well-deserved cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment